Terror at Fort Lauderdale Airport: Shooter Kills 5 and Injures 8
January 6, 2017
Gunman “had walked into an FBI office claiming he was being forced to fight for ISIS”.
Via The Sun:
Esteban Santiago, the prime suspect in the mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport’s baggage claim, spoke to authorities about the terror group in November.
He told officials he was hearing voices in his head, some of which were telling him to join ISIS and watch their videos, and was taken to hospital for a mental health evaluation.
Santiago, who also told the FBI the government controlled his mind, gunned down 13 people at Fort Lauderdale airport today, killing five and injuring eight.
The suspect's aunt Maria Ruiz Rivera claimed the alleged shooter "lost his mind" while fighting in Iraq.
When quizzed why Santiago may have opened fire at passengers, her husband, Hernan Rivera, said: "No idea. Only thing I could tell you was when he came out of Iraq, he wasn't feeling too good."
Santiago, who is accused of opening fire at passengers with a gun he had checked in his luggage, was reportedly receiving psychological treatment while living in Alaska.
Eight people were rushed to hospital after the mass shooting in Terminal 2's baggage reclaim.
Santiago reportedly loaded the gun, which he had carried on a flight from Alaska to Florida, via Minneapolis, in the bathroom and came out shooting.
He is not thought to have said anything during the mass shooting.
Santiago is thought to have flown into Fort Lauderdale on a Delta flight from Anchorage, Alaska.
Senator Bill Nelson named Santiago as the suspect on news channel MSNBC and said he was carrying military identification.
A military spokeswoman says the suspect in a deadly shooting at the Fort Lauderdale, Florida, airport received a general discharge from the Alaska Army National Guard last year for unsatisfactory performance.
Lt. Col. Candis Olmstead did not release details about 26-year-old Esteban Santiago's discharge in August 2016. Olmstead said that he joined the Guard in November 2014.
Santiago is from New Jersey, but his most recent address is listed as Naples, Florida.
He has a history of mental health problems, according to NBC News.
His brother said Santiago received psychological treatment in Alaska and had served in the Guard.
Sheriff Scott Israel says Santiago was not harmed and law enforcement did not fire any shots. It is not yet known if the mass shooting was an act of terror.
A witness described the shooter as a slender, gun-wielding man in a blue "Star Wars" t-shirt.
John Schichler told MSNBC the suspect was able to reload his gun at least once during the attack.
The office earlier confirmed five people died, eight were injured and one suspect was in custody following the mass shooting.
Law enforcement released these photos of shooting suspect Esteban Santiago.
- Blue Monster Prep