ISIS Terrorist Attack on Istanbul Airport Leaves at Least 43 Dead and 239 Injured
June 28, 2016
Three suicide bombers launched a 'major, co-ordinated' attack at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport, spraying bullets into crowds of terrified passengers and security personnel before blowing themselves up, injuring more than 239 people and killing at least 43.
- Three explosions rocked Istanbul's Ataturk airport in a suspected suicide attack shortly before 8pm GMT.
- Eyewitness saw a heroic police officer wrestle attacker to the ground just moments before the blast shook the terminal.
- A total of 43 people are confirmed dead however this total is expected to rise to 50, according to Turkish officials.
- Reports claimed that ISIS is to blame for the attack, according to Turkish news agencies citing police sources.
- Turkish Airlines is the official airline partner of the Euro 2016 football tournament currently being held in France.
Eyewitnesses described the moment a hero policeman shot down one of the suicide bombers before he was able to detonate his explosives, giving holidaymakers a chance to escape and saving countless lives.
In shocking footage that captured the moment, the gunman can be seen running through the international arrivals terminal before falling to the ground - apparently felled by a police bullet - and sending his AK-47 skidding across the floor.
The police officer then approaches the gunman before realising he is about to detonate his suicide vest and running for his life.
Moments later, as the gunman writhes in pain on the floor, he detonates his bomb and the screen goes blank.
- Blue Monster Prep